Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Staying in the closet.

 
Our master bedroom has two large walk-in closets. We don't really need two walk-in closets, so I decided to get creative with the spare closet and create a little office nook!
 
 
 

This is the space when it was still being used as a catch all closet. When we moved in there were things we didn't know what to do with, so we would put them in the closet and pretty soon the closet door wouldn't open! I really believe that if a thing doesn't have a place then you make a place for it or get rid of it! So all of these random things were sorted and we made permanent homes for them- Goodwill was the permanent home for a few of them! Once the closet was empty I was able to move in a desk and hutch as well as craft supplies and books. The house we rented before had a much different color scheme, so I ended up furnishing that house with things that went with those colors. Once we moved, I had all of these cool things and nowhere to put them- until the nook came to life! I was able to keep the things I really like that don't match the rest of the house, and fill this nook up full of fun, quirky and colorful tid bits!

 
In order to accommodate the desk and hutch, I removed one rack of shelving - but I was able to just move it to the side wall and create more space over there! I brought in the things that I use a lot- my sewing machine, art supplies, books and the laptop all have a home in the nook!


 Because of the design of the house there is actually a window in each closet- which is weird to me- but in this case it works out perfectly! I have a great overhead light as well. The nook is super bright so I can easily do projects in here. I already had every single thing that I put in here- all of the furniture was stuff we weren't going to use in the rooms they had been in.




It looks very full and bright and ... messy! But I love it! I love that everywhere I look there is some fun little thing that has a reason that we own it. Someone made it, someone gave it to us, we bought it for a certain house, etc.- it's like a little storybook room of our life!


 
 
 One of the very best things about the nook is that the kids can see all of their art on display. I was able to fit a lot of their canvases on the wall and then I have two separate bulletin boards to pin new artwork on. Of course there are family pics and pics of the Mr. which make it so nice to sit and just soak up.




Even though there are so many mish mash things going on in this one tiny space, everything is very organized! There is a place for everything and it's easy to find what you need and then put it right back where it came from! I used the really high shelves to store boxes of photos. Most of them are of our first baby because we didn't have digital every. little. thing. No... we had film and so I have boxes of pictures that are hard copies that don't fit in my hand like all of the sd cards do! I really made a point to use every inch of space I could. I have a few hooks behind the door to hold bags and misc. things that we don't need often. I used some S shaped shower hooks to loop on the wire shelving and hang my camera bad and other little bags from there just over the top of the book shelf. I have wall décor that hasn't been used stored on the sides of the desk and then of course the important tax papers and things are stored in a small file in the nook also.



I have the bills in the metal tub on the desk, the art supplies in the rolling plastic bins, the sewing machine stored under the desk, the galvanized bucket is the garbage can and just near the door is a bookshelf of the kids' books. The desk surface is really big so I have plenty of room to scrapbook, sew and do whatever else I need to do.
 
 
 
 In the hutch I have envelopes, cards, stamps and pens so that I can easily find cards when I want to actually write someone! I also have little things that the kids have made and trinkets from some of our travels.
 

And last but not least you can see my lovely window! I have a corner office with a window and it's filled with some of my favorite treasures! Doesn't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment