Monday, August 10, 2015

Project #1- Guest Bathroom

Welcome to our first project! The guest bath is just a little toilet and sink room right off of the entry. I love the placement in the house and the size is perfect, but the colors and flooring were not my favorite. We knew when we bought the place that there were several things we wanted to change, and this was the first one I tackled.
 
 
 
 The guest bath originally had yellow paint (with sparkles mixed all in it!) and the builder's special mirror. There were at least two towel bars and then a little white cabinet...I  have no idea why the guest need a medicine cabinet, but hey, if they did, they were in luck!


 
 First things first! I took down the towel bars, toilet paper holder and mirror. I put up some bead board and then caulked the joints and corners. - sounds soooo easy... but getting that bead board completely even and matching up the lines was a little bit of a challenge. It's not perfect, but it was pretty darn good! I did this project by myself since the Mr. was out of town. Oh and notice the old flooring- yeah, that is vinyl stick on flooring... very weird! I had no idea that was even an option!


 
 Ah, coming together. The caulk in the corners and the fresh coats of white paint really make the bead board beautiful.


 
 Time to ditch that yellow sparkly paint! I chose this bright aqua- originally thinking it would work all downstairs, but it was way brighter than I expected. Funny how those paint swatches lie!!! But it is perfect for the bathroom!


 
 I put a decorative trim above the bead board and we added new flooring too. I love the color of the floors! I put the old mirror back until I found something I liked better.
 
 
 
Close up of the bead board and decorative trim. I had to put primer and several coats of paint to get it really uniform.
 
 
 My little bulldog picture. I found this picture a long time ago and just fell in love! It's a little quirky and bright and super cute!
 
 Found this chunky mirror! It was originally gold and I just taped it and spray painted it black to accent the dog picture.


 
 
I think we will add larger baseboards right in front of the existing ones- I want them to cover where the current baseboards and bead board meet. As of now I put little white rugs in front of the toilet and sink, and I'm still on the hunt for the perfect fabric for the window. Oh, did I mention there is a window in the bathroom? Yeah, right beside the toilet! So, if you need to see who is ringing the door bell while you answer nature's call, you totally can! Thankfully there are really nice blinds in there so the curtain isn't a rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment